First aid methods for different animal bites.

Being bitten by dogs, cats, wildlife and even people can cause infection. Many animals transmit rabies and tetanus. A bitten wound usually needs treatment to prevent infection. The bites of bees, wasps or scorpions can cause redness and swelling, sometimes leading to severe allergic reactions.

Animal and human bites

Bites caused by people, cats, monkeys, raccoons or bats, bites caused by any animal on the face, neck or hand, or deep and large wounds, should be immediately sent to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Emergency treatment uses running water to thoroughly clean the wound for at least five minutes to remove dirt and bacteria. Then gently pat the wound, drain the water, and then bandage with sterile bandages. A little antimicrobial ointment on the wound can effectively prevent the bandage from sticking to the wound. If you have been bitten by an innocent animal, or a vagrant with an unknown origin, please contact the animal control organization immediately.

Bites of bees, wasps and bumblebees

Wounds bitten by bees, wasps or bumblebees can be painful because they leave bee stings in your skin.

If a bee bites you, you must remove the stings left in your skin as soon as possible. Pull it out with two finger nails. Never scrape bee stings out with nail clippers or knives. No matter what kind of bite it is, first apply an ice bag (such as wrapping ice in a towel) to the wound. The bite may be swollen and painful for several days; some antihistamines may relieve some symptoms. If a serious reaction occurs, it is treated as an allergic reaction.

Bites of jellyfish and Portuguese cap jellyfish

The bites of jellyfish or Portuguese monk cap jellyfish are toxic and can cause severe pain in the wound, just like burns. When Portuguese monk cap jellyfish bites, they leave small thorns in their skin.

Symptoms after biting can be severe, including dyspnea and loss of consciousness.

Emergency treatment can relieve pain by applying calamine to jellyfish bites, or cold compress them with ice bags, such as wrapping ice in towels. If a Portuguese monk cap jellyfish bites, call out for help.

Keep an eye on the injured person to see if he or she has any allergic reactions. If a spike is removed rashly, it may cause secondary damage, so you can use vinegar or saline (not water) to clean the wound (because water may cause the tentacles on the spikes to sting the skin). Let the victim lie down in a comfortable position, keep his or her temperature, and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

Sea urchin bites

Sea urchins are brightly colored, spiky, hard-shelled animals. They live mainly in shallow waters along the coast. Children like to touch sea urchins, so they can easily step on them. Although only a few sea urchins are poisonous, the spikes on sea urchins can penetrate the skin, and then part of the spikes will remain in the tissue deep in the skin, causing infection.

Emergency treatment should not attempt to pull out the spikes left on the surface of the skin, because it is fragile and easy to break. When this happens, go to the hospital emergency room and let the doctor take it out slowly.

If the spikes are no longer in the skin, soaking the wound in hot water (not boiling water) can relieve the pain.

Scorpion Bite

Scorpions are divided into many different species, some of which are more toxic than others. Symptoms of a scorpion bite include burning sensation, tingling or numbness in the wound area, stomachache, nausea and vomiting, muscle convulsions (including jaw muscles), spasms or loss of consciousness.

Emergency treatment keeps the bite below the heart to prevent the spread of venom. Cold compress the wound with an ice bag, such as wrapping it in a towel. Send the injured to the nearest hospital emergency department for treatment.

Snake bite

Snakes do not provoke aggression against humans, but when they are provoked, they attack. The amount of venom released by a young venomous snake is almost the same as that released by an adult venomous snake. If bitten by a venomous snake, medical treatment must be sought.

Emergency treatment moves the wounded away from the snake or the bite, because if the snake is pressed or injured, it may continue to attack. Let the wounded lie down and keep calm. If the bite is a finger, hand or arm, remove the jewelry immediately. Keep the wound below the heart and apply ice packs (such as ice wrapped in a towel) for the first time.

Send the wounded to the nearest hospital for first aid. Don’t use tourniquets unless you’ve had similar experience before. Don’t try to suck the poison out. Don’t let the wounded eat or drink.

If you are sure you can catch the snake safely, catch it. If you’ve killed it, try to make sure that the snake is intact, so that medical staff may determine if it’s toxic.

Spider bites

Spiders generally do not attack others unless they feel threatened. But once bitten by a spider called a black widow or a brown spider, it is generally necessary to seek medical attention in time. Both spiders generally live in protected areas, such as timber piles, attics or garages, in forgotten corners, or under rocks. Spider bites are especially dangerous for children, the elderly and patients.

Tick bite

If you find a tick sticking to the skin, clamp it with tweezers and press it hard against its head. It must hold its head tightly, and the closer it is to the skin, the better, so that the whole tick can be removed. If the tick is successfully cleaned up, the wound will have a slight tugging sensation and the wounded person will feel gently pinched. A small piece of skin will remain in the mouth of the tick. If you think you haven’t cleaned up, go to the doctor as soon as possible.