How long does a hedgehog live?
Hedgehogs generally have a life span of 4 to 7 years, up to 10 years or so. It is recorded that hedgehogs have survived for 16 years.
90% of hedgehogs live less than a year?
Hedgehogs start mating every April, giving birth to 1-2 babies per year, 3-16 babies per child. Every spring after hibernation, hedgehogs look for mates. Before the female hedgehog accepts the courtship, the male hedgehog spends hours around her, and then it completes its mission.
After mating, the mother hedgehog begins to find a safe and quiet place to nest herself and the baby hedgehog that will be born 30 days later. The hair on the back of the newborn baby is sparse and soft, and there is no vision in the first two weeks after birth. But after a few days, it can gradually harden into thorns. After 4-8 weeks of breastfeeding, the mother hedgehog teaches how to find food.
Two months after the birth of the hedgehog, the mother ceased to take care of the baby hedgehog, leaving the baby hedgehog to live alone. About 90% of the baby hedgehogs live for less than a year.
Life habits of hedgehogs
1. Hedgehogs widely inhabit mountain forests, plain grasslands, cropland, reclaimed land and wasteland, shrubs and grasses. But in plain and hilly shrubs and grasses, the most. Do nests in low-lying areas or valleys under fallen trees, tree roots, stone crevices and residential walls. Leaves, hay, moss and so on were laid in the nest.
2. Hedgehogs are timid, light-scared and quiet. They sleep in caves during the day and sometimes snore. When night falls, it moves out slowly.
3. Hedgehogs can climb trees, swim and cross rivers to the other side.
4. Hedgehogs’visual deterioration, but their sense of smell and hearing are very sensitive. This structure makes them suitable for hunting at night.
5. Hedgehogs are large insect-eating animals. Their diets include earthworms, insects, snails, frogs, snakes, lizards, mice, plant roots, stems, fruits, etc. They also like cockroaches, and can swallow poisonous moths into their stomachs. They also have strong resistance to belly snakes and can swallow small snakes.